Thursday, 26 August 2010

Patricia Sund's "Chop"

 have recently discovered  a great blog called Parrot Nation written by Patricia Sund (the link to the blog can be found in the blogroll on the left of this page). There I have found a recipe for parrot food called "Chop" which Patricia cooks for her African Greys. Looking at those guys I thought "we will have what they are having!" and got down to writing a shopping list for the Chop ingredients.
It combines a number of super-heathy and nutritious ingredients: plenty of vegetables rich in all sorts of vitamins and minerals, seeds, like hemp seed, which is rich in essential fatty acids and has a high protein content, seaweed, which is rich in calcium, magnesium,  iodine and Patricia also notes that it is high in essential omega fatty acids too. On top of that, it has got pulses and grains, which also provide some protein, complex carbohydrates, many vitamins of B group and other nutrients.
So, with a shopping list I went to my favourite heath food shop and purchased some ingredients for my Chop:
Carrots, Squash, Sweet Potatoe, Broccoli, Wild Rocket, Parsley, Apples, Pears, Kiwi, Chinese Cabbage and Bell Pepper
Hemp seed, Golden Linseed, Fennel Seed, Dill Seed, Millet Grain and Jumbo Oats
Seaweed (Nori, Dulce, Sea Lettuce) and Rosehip and Hibiscus Tea (50% of each) 
And I already had some grains and lentils on hand
I chopped all of the veg in the food processor, starting with carrots, sweet potatoe and broccoli stem. Note this gorgeous red carrot, I think it looks lovely!
Next I washed and dried Wild Rocket and some Parsley in a salad spinner
Added some broccoli and chopped
Then I added that big orange Squash, Apple and Bell Pepper to the food processor, leaving out the squash seeds and adding them later to the mix
Then I added some cooked lentils to the mix
Separately from the vegetables I have chopped in the fruit processor Kiwi and Pears.
Due to this fruit being very juicy I mixed them together with Jumbo Oats and the Oats absorbed the moisture. Then it was also added to the main mix.
Hemp seed, Dill seed, Fennel seed and Golden Linseed, cooked millet are added
Then I soaked some Seaweed, drained and added that to the mix, along with some Peas, Cranberries, Rosehips and Hibiscus, cooked Wheat and Amaranth
So this is the mix ready. I didn't add any pulses because I cooked and froze a batch only a couple of days ago, so these will be added to the Chop mix right before feeding.
While I popped out of the kitchen to check the instructions on Chop Digby managed to jump right in the bowl so tempting it looked for him!
After the picture was taken, I retrieved him from the bowl and he continued to enjoy his Chop sitting on the edge of the bowl, somehow this seems more hygienic to me!
My bunny wasn't left out and got a large plate of greens which were used in the Chop recipe
My budgie got a helping too later in the day and picked a few bits. Tomorrow I will mix it with a little bit more of her seed and see if she feels more tempted to try it that way.
While my animals were enjoying their healthy, beautiful food, full of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, I was snacking on this:
YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...